To Woo, To Flirt, To Romance


Erm… where do I start? In preparing to write this article, I’ve had to do some reflecting and deep thinking. Make Love.  The phrase alone gives the impression that love can be made.  Since this is an English phrase, I googled a bit and realised that ‘Making love’ has only recently come to mean ‘having sex’.  Originally it meant to woo, or flirt or romance.  The term originates from the French phrase ‘faire l'amour’, which means paying attention to someone romantically.  From a female point of view, this makes complete sense!

Sorry about the history lesson.  My marriage is very young so I am still comparing my fantasies while single, to my current reality.  In fantasy world (the few times I actually allowed my mind to wander), I always imagined what making love would really be like.  Yes, it should involve sex, but my thoughts didn’t focus on the act, but the wonderful hunk who would create this amazing experience with me.  Reality has shown that while I have my Hunk, his ways are not always aligned to my ways.  There are days in which my husband has a need to be selfish.  Honestly, I don’t always mind this.  It is sometimes exhilarating to feel that I am meeting a need which no one else in the entire universe is allowed to meet – and I do it ever so well, if I say so myself.  But I can’t remember the last time my husband tried to woo me, or actually flirt with me, talk less of experiencing a romantic moment.  Life happens, or so they say.

I was a complete novice in this business when I got married.  I remember my husband muttering to himself how he felt cheated because I wasn’t as ‘hot’ as he had imagined I would be.  I was just trying to understand what this sex thing that I had be dying for was all about.  The earth didn’t quite shatter, and I didn’t fly to the moon.  I didn’t even feel like making any sounds at all.  I even started to wonder if I was ok.  Why wasn’t I reacting the way I hoped I would?  I read books.  I spoke to a few married friends but I didn’t get much out of them because no one really wants to tell you they are not quite meeting the mark in the bedroom department.  I then decided to analyse every step of the process to see what my issue was.

I noticed that sex usually happened when my husband wanted it.  I then had to ask myself why I didn’t want it as often as he did.  Hubby would go out really early.  I was not working so I would be half asleep when he left. He would leave without saying a word to me, and I sort of expected at the very least, a goodbye peck on the cheek, lips or forehead.  I would get up, shower, watch telly, apply for jobs, watch more telly, eat, cook, take a walk, shower and then be almost ready for bed – when hubby would come back from work.  We would exchange a few words and he would shower and eat, then go on his laptop, while I would go to bed.  He would eventually join me, and without words, I was expected to be switched on.  I eventually realised that this method was not working for me and I tried to convey my frustration to my husband.  I told him that I wanted to hear how much he had been thinking of me during the day, because it would help me respond better at night, but he wanted to show me what he was thinking instead.  It was a serious tug-of-war over those first few months.  Then there was the added annoyance of not reaching a climax yet.

I took this issue to God and I told him it wasn’t fair.  I watched my husband time after time, quickly reach his climax and fall asleep.  I would be left wondering how I was meant to handle my frustrated libido without a cold shower. I’m a married woman for crying out loud!  I can’t say God gave me a direct answer but I just felt that God’s plans for me are good, and those plans just have to include a very happy and fulfilling sex life for both my husband and I, within our own marriage. 
I then bravely asked my husband one day, if there was something he would like me to change or improve on.  He said he wanted me to participate.  It seemed ridiculous at first, I then realised that he was doing most of the work during sex.  I expected him to know more simply because he was the man. I also somehow expected him to meet both our needs.  After our chat, I spent some time thinking about how I would be ‘active’ during the ‘act of marriage’.  I bought some arsenal specifically for this department.  I then went to visit a friend who I could be a little vulnerable to.  Armed with all this, I waited for my husband.  He had to make some changes to his working hours as well, which gave us more time together. There was a significant improvement.  Firstly, I experienced my first climax four months after marriage. To my surprise, my husband was really excited about this.  I thought he wasn’t bothered about my satisfaction but I realised he really does have trouble expressing what is really going on in his head.
Once that happened, I was chasing the guy. I keep my eyes on the clock and as soon as I knew he would be back, I would dress for battle and my Hubby was loving it.  He even started to beg me to slow down, and he is still begging.  While I worked on what he felt was a weakness on my part, my husband is yet to give me the words I yearn for.  Words which came so easily during courtship are just so hard to say these days.  I keep praying for him and reminding him once in a while that I still have a need that is yet to be met.  But isn’t that part of what marriage is all about? Working towards perfection.

Last week we read about love making beginning from the Kitchen.  While I am not completely crazy about my husband cooking with me, I do appreciate him speaking to me while I cook, acknowledging that I am his partner and not his maid.  I miss being wooed.  I miss flirting with my husband.  Then again, have I left it all to him to do?  Maybe I’ll do some flirting tonight…… Too tired mehn!  I’ve cooked, washed, ironed, swept, fed baby, bath baby, run errands and prayed for him.  I need this romance badly, I need this special attention.  Lord, help me and help my husband, because this making love business must be activated in this marriage NOW!


Keshia

Comments

  1. In my experience many African women have a problem initiating love making. Not because they cannot but because over time, our societies have culturally subdued the libido of our women. Almost masking them apologetic for their sexuality . Well done you, for taking the bull by the horns. I personally give a copy of the pocket kamasutra to my friends who actively ask for help in "that" department.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my experience many African women have a problem initiating love making. Not because they cannot but because over time, our societies have culturally subdued the libido of our women. Almost masking them apologetic for their sexuality . Well done you, for taking the bull by the horns. I personally give a copy of the pocket kamasutra to my friends who actively ask for help in "that" department.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very captivating and so true! A strong word to the men I guess to brush up our skills of wooing even after the WEDDING and not allow the stress of work and more work and problems and more problems numb us. Kudos

      Delete
  3. Translate

    Please leave your comments in English for the benefit of all, . You can read the blog in Arabic by copying it in to Arabic google translator.

    204/5000
    يرجى ترك تعليقاتكم باللغة الإنجليزية لصالح الجميع، على الرغم من أنني قد لاحظت كنت الإعلان شركة الحشرات الخاصة بك. يمكنك قراءة المدونة باللغة العربية من خلال نسخها إلى مترجم جوجل العربي.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful peice and the honesty is appreciated. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The things I never told my Mother

Changing my Yes

Too Far