The things I never told my Mother


Growing up for me was blissful. I had a father who would listen,  empower  and reinforce to me the fact that God fearfully and wonderfully created me. Daddy told me daily how I could be anything I wanted to be.

You see, my daddy was 30 years older than my mother. He was better educated in “terms of certificates” than her and he was a greatly travelled gentleman. My mother on the flip side, was only a standard six certificate  holder, from  a more humble background but “a very intelligent woman” without the glory of “many paper certificates”.
 By virtue of the gap in their background, my mother’s mantra was to beat the discipline physically, by “fire by force” into one’s body. My father would discuss with you and explain very calmly, ensuring that you understood what and why you need to make recommended changes. The two had modus operandi that were the opposite to each other.
 I look back and cannot remember the one time my father hit me or ever shouted at me. However, my mother was a “shouter” and the fact my ears are still on either side of my head to this day, remains a miracle. My ears were my “handles”! The two pieces of appendages that bore my entire body weight any time I erred. My mum would lift my siblings and I up using our ears and then twist it while we were suspended  mid air.
 You would think we would be very scared of my mother because of her punitive measures – but the truth was, we were not. We looked forward to her methods as our ears gradually mutated to accommodate the pain. We feared my mum but the parent we truly respected was our daddy.
 We used to joke among ourselves  “ mummy will only pull our ears and swing us from side to side". However  daddy on the other hand, “will preach to one daily till thy kingdom comes – the matter does not end”. It became such a perpetual torment that we rather not upset the balance. We conformed with only one look from daddy but mum just had to shout the whole house down to get a response . In short ,we had deep respect for daddy and superficial fear for mummy.
 I shall share with you dear readers, an event that exemplifies the difference I am trying to explain. Once upon a fine day, on a certain Nigerian street, my mum sent me to boil some yam for pounded yam. I promptly went ahead to peel the yam  and added some water to it in a pot and and placed  it on the cooker. I confidently added salt to the yam. When my mum asked me if I had put the yam on fire to make the pounded yam, I said yes. Out of the blues, she asked “did you put salt in the yam you are boiling?”
“Yes mummy ",I said. "
I put some salt. But it will not be too salty as I tasted it and it was okay.”At this point, my mother had started shouting and calling on over 10 generations of her ancestors to come and save her from me!
“Who puts salt in the yam being boiled to make pounded yam?”

“God, you know I am doing a good job oo! A great task of ensuring this girl can cook so that she will find a good man that will marry her. Yet, just to boil yam to pound yam, she is adding  salt. This pounded yam will turn out very bad. It will be like mashed potato without any stickiness” I ran away knowing that this time, not only my ears were in trouble…


· My daddy who had been engrossed in what ever it was he was reading, heard my mother’s screams! I am sure, that even the four corners of the earth must have heard her. My dad came to us and said in his calm but firm voice “Please let my daughter be. I am not raising her to be a slave and cook to any man. Any man who wishes to eat pounded yam should please pound it himself and not think my daughter is a pounding machine. As for my meal today, I will have no pounded yam. I will just eat my boiled yam like that.”


My mother retorted with a shrill scream If I do not train her well, they will laugh at me that I have failed. The enemies will laugh at me. God knows I have tried! Instead of the enemies to laugh at me, I will make sure I beat how to cook into this your big head!”

 My father came in between us and saved by head on the day. He told me to follow him to the living room. My mother’s eyes were spitting lava but there was not much she could do -  for when Pa. Richard spoke, all had to listen. Her inclusive!
 When we got to the living room, my dad told me to sit down. Next he asked me if I understood why my mother was angry. I responded that it was because I used salt in boiling yam meant for pounding. “What does the salt do to the yam? And why should you not added it?, he asked.
“I do not know daddy. I do not know. Mummy never told me. She only just started shouting and calling on her ancestors to help!” I giggled. My father could not help laughing as he proceeded to explain to me, why I should never again put salt in yam meant for pounding.

“You see, my daughter, your cooking salt, is sodium chloride, isn’t it? It is made up of ionic molecules that will break up the carbohydrate bonds in yam, thereby reducing the viscosity or binding force when you start to pound. The end result is that the pounded yam will not have the nice adhesive texture which makes our meal stand out but rather, will be fluffy and may not even mix uniformly. You spend more energy pounding that kind of yam and despite that, the end product is less than satisfactory to the taste buds.”


 It was a eureka moment for me. Now I truly understood why I did not need to put salt in the yam for pounding ever again.  Not that I was ever going to forget my mother’s screams and call on her ancestors in my entire life time, but I now would not just act didactically without not understanding the principles.
 “Thank you  daddy,” I said.
“You are welcome my daughter. The other thing I want you to understand is that even though you learn how to cook, you are not perfecting that skill because a man somewhere wants to eat. You are not perfecting that skill because it is your task to please one man. You will perfect your cooking skills because you need to make good healthy meals for your own self.  If a man respects and pleases you in future, and you wish to express your acceptance of his good attitude by doing him the privilege of cooking him great meals, I have nothing against that. However, what I never want you to do, is to think that your life revolves around getting married to a man. You are first and foremost, a human being with pedigree unparalleled. Remember whose daughter you are. Any man, worth his salt, will treasure and value you and that my daughter, will bring out the very loyal and loving best in you”.


I looked at my daddy as he spoke. I was grateful then that he rescued me from my mother and he gave me an enlightening domestic chemistry lesson. Today, I look back and I am eternally indebted to him for liberating my mind from that aspect of society that throws people into boxes led by cohorts like my mother. I am glad he unleashed my wings, so I could fly.

 Well, what I never told my mother all those years, is that I actually never really had deep respect for her. I had fear “induced respect for her”. The type that after sometime, fades away when one can no longer be bothered by the shouts, rants, ancestor summons and even the physical bashing. The type that if not properly handled, could metamorphose into rebellion. I did not tell her how lucky she was to have my father who was a balancing act in our upbringing. I did not tell her how much I loved her for many years, because for a long time, I thought she did not love me. Now, some forty odd years down the line, I know better. My mother was a product of her environment and as such, she wanted to do the best to “be the good mother who raised the good daughters that would in turn, perpetuate the goodness of future female generations.”

 Furthermore, I never told my mother that I was not interested in getting married for many years.  The reason was because I knew it would break her heart. At the time, I was strongly determined marriage was not for me as “I could not suffer fools” and many of the male folks I encountered then, did not tick my box. Then, one day, I summoned courage and told her.
My enemies are at work” she screamed! By the way, any thing my mother could not logically explain was attributed to her enemies.  She continued her rant about them on the day, saying “But they will not succeed. You see how your father has over the years brain washed your mind.Now Richard is no more and he expects me to fix all of this? Where is my phone, I need to call my Pastor

 Fast forward a few years down the line after that incident and I came home with a boy who had dreadlocks and did not think I was born to be his cook. The dreadlocks did not appeal to my mum and she has never told me this; but I saw and still remember the look in her eyes that implied anything was better than my initial decision not to marry. She quickly accepted the young man.
 The thing I never told her till today though, is that I was the hair twister. I locked my friend’s hair – my friend who would eventually become my husband. I do not think mummy needs to know I am the dreadlock maker because; the ancestors need to earn their well-deserved rest. Do you think I should tell her? (Ha ha ha-ha). Let the comments roll.
Simply Me,
 Loretta

 LR: Loretta Reveals-Loretta is the editor in chief  of "Loretta Reveal"http://lorettareveals.org/

Dishusbandmata……passionate about relationships

Comments

  1. Wow,guess our mothers did it the way they knew best but thumbs up for the balancing force of your dad.
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace to be better parents I pray

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed reading this Loretta. It reminded me of my parents and how much the way one is brought up also affects the way one brings up their own children. God help us all. Thanks for another thought provoking and interesting piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is humbling to read comments like this. We thank you.

      Delete
  4. I laughed so hard but it was very nostalgic for me. This mum reminds me of mine i sometimes do same with my kids not sure its a bad wat cos i turned out right but there is a better way... thanks again for this wonderful piece..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure turned out right! No manual on the parenting job! We keep up as work in progress. Glad you liked this.

      Delete
  5. I think your dad was phenomenal. As for the ancestors, well....I think they also appreciate a good joke and a good hair twister!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your narration had me giggling, albeit in my head. Ironically we are still in many ways, the products of that sort of thinking. Many unconscious beliefs and fears still trap the best educated (sic) of us. This is a reminder to speak more with my kids around 'why'". Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes reminder to speak with our children always

      Delete
  7. That was a beautiful moving piece as well as thought provoking. GOD bless your dad and the legacy he left and your mum in her infinite wisdom. Our generation has the choice now to decide the parenting models we would like to adapt for our children. Thank you once again for that piece. The message is definitely worth sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice piece. You make reading a piece of cake

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow nice piece good job my dear friend.most mothers are shouters and fathers quiet but the real disciplinarian. Wish we all know these and practice what's best for the computer generation kids. Thanks lorrie.. kudos!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Changing my Yes

Too Far